Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Potato in Seoul - Zapangi Tin and Bottle Cafe (Seoul)


Seoul is known for having dozens upon dozens of unique cafes, many of them created based on a specific theme. There's dog/cat/raccoon/meerkat/sheep cafes, color-themed cafes, Hello Kitty, comic or board-game themed cafes...literally everything. As someone who likes exploring places that offer good drinks and good food, it's the perfect city for me. There's always a different cafe to go to. (The repercussions of having so many cafes in Seoul is a different story.)

With my 베프, I headed out to a rather new cafe not too far from Hongdae called Zapangi: Tin and Bottle. It's a cafe that focuses on its milk tea and small cakes that come in little tin canisters. The milk tea and cake were both delicious!

Menu:
They offer a few different flavors of cakes. Melon, cherry, peach, and blueberry were the offerings the day I went. My friend and I decided on a blueberry cake to split between the two of us and then a drink each. I'm a big milk tea fan, so I went with the Original milk tea, while my friend went with a coffee.


Special summer drinks came in floaty stands!



Original milk tea, blueberry cake, and a coffee

If you order their milk tea, you get a cup of ice and can go pick out the bottle of milk tea that comes in a small, glass bottle.

Thoughts:
The milk tea was delicious and had just the right amount of sweetness for me, though I do have a sweet-tooth. I liked the cafe's atmosphere and choice of retro music. There was a bathroom inside the building, and the staff were all super friendly and upbeat, which definitely makes a difference in a shop's overall vibe.

The decor was cute and made for a fun theme. I'm not sure if they plan on changing the decor seasonally or not since I went during the summer when little flamingo floaties were being used as drink holders. I think it would be fun if they changed some of the decor seasonally, though I suppose that could ruin the pink-theme a little bit. But maybe changing the type of drink holders from floaties to some kind of other seasonal item would be fun. Perhaps also offering more seasonal-type cakes as well.

This type of signage is super popular in Korea right now. You see them everywhere. (ft. the fridge that the milk tea bottles are in)


~

Most themed cafes are great photo opportunities, but many of them actually have photo corners where they'll sometimes even have props for customers to use to take photos. And take photos they will! It's sort of like a tradition. At every cute cafe, you have to take 193750937 photos or it didn't happen. Not that I mind all that much. It's often fun to take photos with friends. Plus, it's a great way to get some shots that could potentially be Instagram-worthy.

For Zapangi, the best photo op is actually their unique vending-machine lookalike door. The bright pink stands out extremely well against the drab gray cement wall. People love to take photos of them leaning out of the door, which seems cute except that people are trying to come-and-go from the cafe, so it can be a bit bothersome trying to get in/out while someone's sticking their head out from behind the door for a photo.


  






I've included a map that Zapangi also has on their Instagram page for those who can read Korean! It's actually really easy to find as long as you follow the instructions. It's one turn out of the subway exit and then a straight shot, so it's not bad. It's only about a 10-minute walk, if that, from the station exit.

Take the subway to Mangwon, and come out Exit 2. Out of the exit, turn right (immediate), and walk straight. You'll pass 2 crossings, and Zapangi will be not far past the second one on the left!
서울시 마포구 망원동 400-2 // 400-2 Mangwon-dong, Mapo-gu, Seoul
오전 10시 - 오후 11시까지 // 10AM-11PM
02)325-8185
Instagram: @zapangi_official
~

And as a final parting gift, I leave you with this photo...

~
Connect with me:
Instagram: @lilea_ishere
Twitter: @lilea_ishere

1 comment: