Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Potato in Seoul - Gyeongbokgung/경복궁 (Again!)


If you're friends with me on Facebook or follow me on Instagram (@lilea_ishere), you've probably seen all of these photos already, however, you're about to see them again! Yay! I decided to make a post using some of my favorite shots from this trip to the Palace.

Last month, I went to one of the palaces that I went to last summer, but this time, I was dressed in traditional regalia. I went with two friends, and we made a quick stop to a hanbok rental place that was right next to the palace where we got all dressed up before heading to the palace. Though palace entry isn't expensive to begin with, if you go to the palace dressed in traditional Korean clothing (hanbok), you get free entry! The hanbok place that we went to was small, and I didn't get any photos of the inside. The staff spoke a variety of languages, and everything was very quick and efficient.

Although hanboks traditionally come in bright colors, I opted for one that's more modern-looking made with darker colors. Those who know me, know that I'm always wearing dark colors. I haven't worn brights in...a long time.T and you get to try on two different options, but if you're still not satisfied with the first two tries, you can pay extra to try on more. I got lucky and ended up going with the first hanbok I tried on.








The embroidery on the jacket portion of the hanbok was quite detailed, which added such a regal touch. The colors themselves gave the hanbok a very royal feel, but throw in gold-thread embroidery, and I was in love. I didn't really want to take it off, except that it was over 90 degrees (Fahrenheit), and I was sweating...But other than that, I didn't want to take it off.

~

Now for actual photos inside the palace!



 
This courtyard can be seen in numerous Korean historical dramas that have been filmed here over the years!
 




There are so many pretty areas within the palace walls that are often overlooked












 










We went to the palace in the early evening to catch the last of the sun, and we took some of our best shots just as the sun was starting to set. The setting sun cast the perfect, warm glow over the entire palace, which is painted in primarily warm colors, so it made the palace that much more beautiful.

There's something so epic about the sun setting over a historical place. As someone who used to be crazy about medieval and ancient royalty, being able to travel to and actually stand and watch the sun set on a place where some of the country's most important people once lived is awe-inspiring for me. It brings to life everything I've ever read about and dreamed about being able to experience. Though time travel isn't possible, being able to merely stand where historical figures have stood is enough for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment