Friday, July 25, 2014

Day 10: The Mourne Mountains

Today was our first whole day with Carole's cousin Aldra (and Aldra's husband Stephen). The view from their home is stunning: a perfect view of the Irish Sea. The guest room I'm in has a skylight that, when open, lets in the fresh smell of the sea and the lovely breeze coming off the water.

Yesterday was exploring Dublin day. Dublin is quite large and a huge cosmopolitan place. There were tons of tourists everywhere. We took a morning bus tour, which was very informative. We passed by a 5-star hotel which is owned by Bono of U2. The tour guide made cheesy jokes (of course I laughed at all of them), and kept a running commentary on everything we passed. After Dublin, we met Aldra & her husband for dinner at a place called Fitzpatrick's, which had lovely food. The restaurant has world-famous chowder of which I did not partake.

Today we all walked down by the path running alone the Irish Sea and into the little village that is nearby. The village is small and quaint, and thanks to the beautiful weather today, I have a tanline on my nose from my sunglasses. Who says you can't tan in Ireland?

Differences I noted today:


1) People, in the cities, don't apologize or anything if they run into you.

Ex. A woman ran over my foot with her baby carriage (the baby was in the carriage) and didn't say a word. 

Ex. 2 A guy practically rammed into my shoulder from behind and didn't say a word. 

Interestingly though, if you say "excuse me" or "sorry" when you run into someone, you get weird looks. 

2) Bathrooms are not free. (I don't wanna pay you 20 cents, lady.)

Dublin

Dublin 2

Lunch in Dublin

Our George Clooney waiter...

Actual George Clooney promoting European coffee....

The path leading to the Sea.

Me by the Irish Sea

The Mourne Mountains.

No comments:

Post a Comment