Thursday, July 17, 2014

The Arrival

Sitting in the Cleveland airport, I wasn't sure we (the Hudys and I) were gonna make it. After receiving about four or five updates saying our flight to Newark was delayed, the chances of missing our connecting flight from Newark to Belfast were getting high.

The Cleveland-Newark flight delay was due to weather. The Newark-Belfast delays were thanks to a 14-year-old girl dropping her phone into an air vent on the plane. Two hours and 30 maintenance crew later, we were finally ready for take-off.

But despite the delays, we made it, and now I'm sitting at the table of Maureen and Jim, Northern Ireland natives and cousins of Mrs. Hudy. Watching the adults talk was quite an experience. I'm not sure they stopped talking for even a minute. But it wasn't really unexpected. Hearing the Irish accents is so fun. I've always been quick to pick up accents, and I've heard myself starting to pick it up already. Be prepared, family. 

There are so many differences between the USA and Northern Ireland, but not too many of them have been surprising. It's still taking a bit getting used to the differences, but it's fun learning  and seeing new things. The very first difference was the driving. The roads are marked differently, and everyone drives on the left side of the road but right side of the car. One of the two other big differences that are noticeable right away is how old everything is. The stone wall that runs alongside the road is 400-500 years old, for example. And where else would there be a 400 year old castle by the roadside?

One of the biggest differences is how much smaller everything is: houses, roads, fridges, etc. Northern Ireland is only 90 miles long and 80 miles wide so compared to the USA, everything has to be scaled smaller. 


But today's adventure involves a shopping/touring trip to Belfast, only about a 20 minute drive away. I'm definitely excited for my real first day here in Northern Ireland.

The view after taking off on the Cleveland-Newark flight.

Eating airplane food and watching Frozen on the Newark-Belfast flight.

The view from the plane right before landing in Belfast.

My first breakfast in Ireland: toast, strawberries, and tea. Not pictured is the candy bar I ate afterwards.

A gift from Maureen & Jim: a "jumper".

2 comments:

  1. Aw, I wanted to see the candy bar! Oh well. Lol! Seriously, thank you for face-timing us after you arrived. Your room and the house you are staying in look beautiful! Enjoy your shopping trip in Belfast! I love the sweatshirt (jumper!) Keep on posting! (I know you will!) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love seeing Ireland through your eyes. Looking forward to more posts and pics.

    ReplyDelete